School of Computer Technologies and Control was established in the beginning of 90’s on the basis of the Department of Fine Mechanics and Computer Technologies because of the intensive development of computer science, computer technologies and related to them fields of knowledge.
School of Computer Technologies and Control is one of the biggest departments of ITMO University. The department provides training of 1900 students and 130 postgraduate students. Currently, School employs around 200 employees including lecturers and educational support staff. The school has highly qualified lecturers including one member of the Russian Science Academy and more than 30 professors. The school provides training for specialists in the field of computing technologies, computer software, information security. School’s graduates successfully use received skills during the participation in development, research, manufacturing, and exploitation of modern devices and systems of a different purpose.
School of Computer Technologies and Control provides training for bachelors, specialists, and masters in the following specialties and directions of preparation
- Computer machines, complexes, systems and networks
- Organization and technologies of the information security
- Complex security of the informatization objects
- Electric drive and automation of industrial plants and technological complexes
- Devices and systems for orientation, stabilization and navigation
- The design and technology of electronic computing facilities
- Control and informatics in technical systems
- Informatics and computer machines
- Automation and control
- Electrical devices, Electromechanics and Electrical Technology
- Electric power industry and electrical devices(bachelors)
- Electric power industry and electrical devices (masters)
- Software Engineering (bachelors)
- Software Engineering (masters)
The Departments of Secure Information Technologies, Information and Navigation Systems, Opto-digital systems and complexes, Machinery Design of Board Electronic Computing Equipment are the partnering Departments with enterprises. These Departments were created at the leading enterprises of St. Petersburg. Activities of the partnering Departments allow the professional training for students at the level of modern requirements, providing a quick adaptation of young specialists in the research and production teams. School of Computer Technologies and Control has contracts with basic enterprises for provision of industrial pregraduate practice followed by the employment.
School’s graduates successfully work not only in different regions of Russia, but also in many countries of the world: Australia, USA, Canada, Germany, Israel and other countries. School is proud of its students, many of whom became famous scientists, specialists and organizers of major science and production. Among them there are the Doctor of Technical Sciences, Academician, the President of the Academy of Sciences of the Kirghiz SSR, the first President of Kyrgyzstan (1991 -2005), current professor at the Institute of Mathematical Studies of Complex Systems at MSU Askar Akayev, the vice president of IBM Lilia Tsalalihina, the general director of CRI "Granite" Vladimir Nikoltsev, the general director of "Russian Institute of Radionavigation and Time", JSC Sergey Pisarev, the general director of "LOMO" JSC Alexander Aronov and many others who became the production managers and leading specialists in Russia and other countries.
The partners of the School of Computer Technologies and Control are more than 50 Russian and international enterprises including General Motors, IBM, Microsoft, SUN Microsystems, Maxon Motor, Motorola, State Research Center of the Russian Federation Concern CSRI Elektropribor, experimental design bureau "Electroautomation", LOMO, KINEF, National Research Institute of fine engineering JSC, “Original mechanics and automatics” LLC, "National Research Institute of Precision equipment design", NE JSC, Avionika-vist LLC, Concern Avrora Scientific and Production Association JSC, Eureca CJSC, Kaspersky Lab CJSC, Peterstar, Telecom, Vodokanal, etc.
Within the scientific and student projects and exchanges the School of Computer Technologies and Control is actively cooperating with foreign universities including: University of California, San Diego, USA; Northwestern Polytechnic University (Fremont, USA), Mikkeli Polytechnic (Finland), Beijing Polytechnic University (China), University of Cambridge (UK), University of Uppsala (Sweden), Polytechnic Institute of Oulu (Finland), University of Kuopio (Finland), University of London (UK), University of Melbourne (Australia), University of Newcastle (Australia), the Technical University of Eindhoven (Netherlands).
The Department’s graduates work in State Research Center of the Russian Federation Concern CSRI Elektropribor, experimental design bureau "Electroautomation" LOMO, KINEF, National Research Institute of fine engineering JSC, "Original mechanics and automatics" LLC, Marli Juice LLC, Moydodyr-service CJSC, NE JSC, Avionika-vist LLC, Concern Avrora Scientific and Production Association JSC, Eureca CJSC, Kaspersky Lab CJSC, Peterstar, Telecom, Vodokanal, General Motors, IBM, Microsoft, SUN Microsystems, Maxon, etc.
Youth Policy of the School
Starting from the 4th year more than 50% of the students of the School of Computer Technologies and Control begin to work by specialty.
The annual participation of students and young scientists in the city and all-Russian contests and grant:
- One winner of grant of the President of Russian Federation
- Winners of the UMNIK program
- More than 50 winners of grants of the Government of St. Petersburg
- More than 20 students, postgraduate students and young scientists are associate contractors of the grants of RFBR.
The participation of students, postgraduates and young scientists in the city, all-Russian and international contests and conferences.
Through the last 3 years more than 150 people became the winners, awardees and participants of more than 20 all-Russian and international conferences and contest including
- 5th IFAC Symposium on Robust Control Design (ROCOND’06) – Toulouse
- 1st IFAC Conference on Analysis and Control of Chaotic Systems – Reims
- 15th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation MED07 – Athens
- IFAC Workshop on Adaptation and Learning in Control and Signal Processing (ALCOSP 07) – Saint-Petersburg
- 6th EUROMECH Nonlinear Dynamics Conference – Saint-Petersburg
- 17th IFAC World Congress on Automatic Control – Seoul
Scientific Production and Innovative Work at the School
At the School of Computer Technologies and Control scientific production and innovative work results of which are widely used not only in Russia but also abroad is actively held.
At the Department of Informatics and Applied Mathematics (IAM) of the School of Computer Technologies and Control scientific production and innovative work is held in the following directions
- verification and software testing of information measuring and control space-based systems
- development and studying of control algorithms for information measuring and control systems
- development of software for automated assembly and alignment of composite mirrors of high aperture space-based telescopes
- development of automated methods and facilities for detection and computer identification of high-speed objects
- development of automated methods for the identification of temperature fields.
In all these research directions there are 5 scientific research works held that are included in the national defense plan order.
Since 2002, the Department of Control Systems and Informatics holds research and innovative project in collaboration with the largest automobile manufacturer General Motors. The project aims to develop new intelligent and hybrid control systems for injector combustion engines. In the course of the project new algorithms for intelligent and hybrid control were approved on Chevrolet Tahoe and Chevrolet Corvette cars. The testing results showed a high level of quality and due to the conclusions of experts of General Motors they were found promising. Also, the MSI Department holds serious scientific work related to the creation of mechatronic and robotic systems of new generation.
In 2006, the MSI Department’s staff was awarded a diploma "For the best research in the field of robotic systems" (4th international specialized exhibition "Robotics"). In the hard for our country times – the 90’s – the MSI Department’s staff did not give up and continued to actively hold the scientific production and innovative works. The followings were developed and implemented: control system for laser radar tracking station, adaptive robotic complexes and transport trolleys; contouring control systems and precision interpolation systems for complex surfaces, coherent control systems for multiengine units, devices based on piezoelectric, electrostrictive and magnetostrictive engines, precision measuring devices for micro motions, high precision systems for optical control of forms of the reflective surface on the basis of microcontrollers; photoelectrical measuring systems with analog analyzers and analyzers based on the regular charge transfer structures; equipment for deformation control of steel constructions of large swinging radio telescope RTF-32, RTF-64 with 32 and 64 meter diameter of the main reflector’s flare, devices for discrete automation (DDA) for guaranteed reliability of information for management facilities for pointer economy of St. Petersburg Metro. The scientific research works were completed due to international, federal and regional complex target programs, RFBR grants, on the basis of cooperation with National Research Institute of Fine Engineering, "Tehnokon" JSC and "EKOPROD" JSC.
At the Department of Computer Machines of the School of Computer Technologies and Controls the scientific educational direction "Embedded computer systems" is implemented. As the result of completed in 2007-08 work the CM School has participated
- in educational activities and cooperative projects with organizations of equipment industry of St. Petersburg: LMT" LLC, "NT SPb", experimental design bureau “Electroautomation”, CRI "Electropribor", etc.
- in the international project NESTER (Networked Embedded and control Systems Technologies for Europe and Russia), supervised by the European Commission (EC FP7) as technical experts to assess directions of industry development and options for cooperation between Russia and the European Union
- in the expert group on the subject "Gatchina Nanoelectronics Center - specialized technical park for development of civil electronics"
- scientific and educational direction "Embedded Computer Systems" was drawn to the competition for participation in the federal target program" Scientific and scientific-pedagogical personnel of innovative Russia", as well as to the "lay out" work in establishing of the concept of target training for specialists for instrument-making enterprises.
The results of scientific research works of the CM Department were used to create
- Systems of architectural abstractions of embedded computer systems
- Class of objective-eventful models of computations (OSMV for NECS)
- Techniques for NECS aspect designing
- Method for calculations updates (it implements a single project space design / runtime) for embedded computer systems
- Series of original abstract calculators that are designed as virtual machines and implemented by HW and HW / SW - methods.
Currently, at the CM School there are three research and educational laboratories
- Educational and training laboratory for ECM organization
- Scientific and educational laboratory for system design for embedded computer systems
- Scientific and educational laboratory for integrated calculators.
Since 2000, the Department of Electrotechnics and Precision Electromechanical Systems (ET and PES ) was declared the Head enterprise of the Russian Space Agency in cooperation with the Federal Scientific and Production Center of FSUE "NPK SPP" in terms of creating of electric power drives for quantum optical systems of new generation. The guidance systems, designed and developed by specialists of the Department of ET and PES, equip the telescopes for trajectory measuring of a new generation that are taking trajectory measurements and completing satellite wiring in the Caucasus, Moscow and Altai. Currently there is the designing of a guidance systems for the largest telescope for trajectory measuring in Russia with a mirror diameter of 3.12 meters for the Altai Optical Laser Center held.
At the Department of ET and PES the design and development work "Sinegorye" is held which aims to provide automatic remote control for quantum optical stations from a united center. The Department of ET and PES performs the design and development works "Pritsel" and "Morenos" Within the design and development work "Pritsel" the design and manufacturing of the guidance systems for autonomous search and information on space objects collection is held. The design and development work "Morenos" aims to develop national technical means of control of strategic weapons tests in accordance with international treaties. The design and development work "Morenos" is dedicated to re-equip the ship "Marshal Krylov" with information measuring facilities of national technical control of strategic weapons tests.
Attention, prospective students!
The Basic occupational guidance school
of the School of Computer Technologies and Controls has started its work!
School of Computer Technology and Control