In 1989 he graduated with honors from St. Petersburg State Marine Technical University (SPbSMTU) with the degree in Applied Mathematics. In 1997 defended a PhD thesis in Physical and Mathematical Sciences on «Probabilistic modeling of wind-wave fields, taking into account their heterogeneity and transience».
From 1996 to 2004 he hasbeen working at the Institute of High Performance Computing and Databases (Fellow, Senior Researcher, Head of Faculty).
In 2004 he entered the doctoral studies at the ITMO University at the Department of Computer Technology. In 2005, he graduated early and defended his ScD dissertation on «Concurrent software statistical measurements of spatial-temporal fields».
Since 2006 he has been working as a professor of information systems and heading the research laboratory of Parallel software. In 2007 he was appointed director of the eScience Research Insitute at the ITMO University.
His research interests are: high-performance computing, computer modeling of complex systems, intelligent computational technologies, statistical analysis and synthesis of spatial-temporal fields, parallel and distributed computing, distributed environments for multidisciplinary researches, decision support systems & technologies, statistical analysis and simulation in marine sciences.
R&D projects and research grants
- Federal Program «Research and development on priority areas of scientific and technological complex of Russia for 2007-2012»
- «Development of instrumental shell for design of high-performance applications for Grid architectures in order to create application services on computer modeling and data processing» 2007—2008
- «High-performance software system modeling and forecasting of extreme meteorological events and calculation of the impacts on marine facilities and structures» 2007—2008
- «Instrumental and technological environment for creation of mass mobile online services of the next generation» 2008
- «Research and development on priority directions of scientific-technological complex of Russia for 2007—2012»
- «Development of high-performance software for quantum-mechanical calculations and simulation of nanoscale atomic-molecular systems and complexes» 2008—2009
- International projects and grants
- FP6 project «Creating a virtual laboratory for decision support in the treatment of viral diseases» — 2006—2009
- FP6 project «Development of a marine board decision support system» 2006—2009
He is the author of over 190 works (including the 58 articles in refereed journals and 4 monographs).