- Graduated with honors from the Faculty of Quantum Electronics at Engineering and Physics Faculty of Leningrad Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics (ITMO University now) (1982).
- Postgraduate student of the Faculty of Quantum electronics at Leningrad Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics (1982-85).
- Engineer, assistant-, associate-, full professor of the Faculty of Physics at Natural Science Faculty of Leningrad Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics, (1986-2002).
- Dr. Sci. Phys. and Maths., optics, Saint Petersburg State University (1997)
- PhD, optics, Saint Petersburg State University (1986)
Present job titles
- Head of Photonics and Optoinformatics Faculty at ITMO University (2002-present)
- Dean of Photonics and Optoinformatics Faculty at ITMO University (2002-present)
- Head of International Institute of Photonics and Optoinformatics at ITMO University (2013-present)
- Scientific Adviser of SPIE Student Chapter in ITMO University
- D.S. Rozdestvenskiy Optical Society
More than 30 grants. Among them
- Russian Scientific School, SS-5707.2010.2, 2010.
- CRDF grant , RP-2249, 2001—2003.
- ISSEP grants, 1992—1994, 1996—1997
Medal named after Academician A.A. Lebedev, Russia, awarded 2000 for the «outstanding results in optics».
175 papers in refereed journals. Among them
- Drozdov А.А., Kozlov S.А., Sukhorukov A.A., Kivshar Yu.S. Self-phase modulation and frequency generation with few-cycle optical pulses in nonlinear dispersive media. – Physical Review A. 2012. V. 86. N 5. P. 053822-10.
- Kozlov S.A., Samartsev V.V. Fundamentals of femtosecond optics. — Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2013, 253 p.
- Berkovsky A.N., Kozlov S.A., Shpolyanskiy Yu.A. Self-focusing of few-cycle light pulses in dielectric media. – Physical Review, A72, 2005, 043821.
- Bespalov V.G., Kozlov S.A., Shpolyanskiy Yu.A., Walmsley I.A. Simplified field wave equations for the nonlinear propagation of extremely short light pulses. – Physical Review A., 2002, v.66, 013811.
- Kozlov S.A., Sazonov S.V. Nonlinear propagation of optical pulses of a few oscillations duration in dielectric media. – Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, 1997, V.84, N2, p.221-228.