Bioengineering and Biotechnical Systems
Partner University: École normale supérieure Paris-SaclayPlace of Study: Russia/France/USA
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science (ITMO University), Master of Science (Partner University)
Duration: 2 Years, including 1-2 semesters at the Partner University, 120 credits
Application Deadline: 15 July 2019
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree in the field of engineering or biotechnology or laser technology, with excellent/good grades; CV & motivation letter; Upper-intermediate level of English. For admission to the partner university IELTS or TOEFL may be required*
Annual Tuition Fee: 219 000 rubles for Russian students, 239 000 rubles for international students (the fee noted is for the first year at ITMO, the fee for the second year will be set by the Partner University).
Career Options: Training of masters is carried out with the participation of a number of industrial enterprises, research and production associations, research institutes and Universities of St. Petersburg, as well as leading universities in Europe, Asia and America, which makes it possible to obtain excellent knowledge and invaluable experience in various fields: industrial; research; scientific and educational; administrative.
The skills obtained during the training can be successfully applied in almost all enterprises and laboratories of chemical and petrochemical profile, as well as in the metallurgical, food and pharmaceutical industries. Many graduates choose to continue their research activities as part of continuing education in PhD in Russian or foreign universities, as well as joint PhD programs
The main purpose of the Program is to train highly qualified specialists in the field of instrument engineering, with knowledge in the field of computer modeling, analysis of biological objects and systems, the creation of biomaterials. The program provides competencies in the area of biotechnology and bioengineering, biopolymers, information systems and modeling, molecular spectroscopy, analytical and physical chemistry, the basics of automation of biotechnical processes and production, etc.
The Program focuses on:
- research activities to solve problems related to the development of new biomaterials with specified characteristics based on the use of modern methods of analysis, computer modeling and information technology;
- production and technological activities in the development, testing and operation of biotechnological and analytical equipment for pharmaceutical and chemical industries;
- scientific and educational activities in the studied professional area.
The field of professional activity includes: production technology using microbiological synthesis, biocatalysis, genetic engineering and nanobiotechnology; operation and quality management of biotechnical production, in compliance with the requirements of national and international regulations; organization and conduct of quality control of raw materials, intermediate products and finished products, etc.
Content of the Program
There are three specializations:
FIRST SPECIALIZATION: Molecular Nano- and Biophotonics
Partner University: École normale supérieure Paris-Saclay
Place of Study: Russia, France
Coordinator from ITMO University: Professor I. Denisyuk
Coordinator from Partner University: Professor Isabelle Ledoux-Rak
SECOND SPECIALIZATION: Organic Material for Photonics
Partner University: New Mexico Highlands University
Place of Study: Russia, Las Vegas, New-Mexico (USA).
Coordinator from ITMO University: Professor I. Denisyuk
Coordinator from Partner University: Professor T. Timofeeva
THIRD SPECIALIZATION: Integrated Сomplexes at the Fuel and Energy Complex Enterprises/ Element Base for Nano- and Biophotonics/ Bioengineering and Biotechnical Systems
Full-time program at ITMO University
Coordinator from ITMO University: Professor M. Uspenskaya
List of Courses:
- Creative technologies / Methodology of project management (Entrepreneurial culture)
- Negotiations, conflict management and influence techniques/ Business and scientific ethics, organization of scientific research/ Internationalization of scientific research
- Data processing and analysis
- Information technologies in science and education
- Mathematical modeling of physical processes
- Foreign language in professional activity
- Applied Artificial Intelligence
- Cyberphysical systems and technologies
- Organization of measurements and metrology
- Biotechnical systems and bioengineering
- Modern methods of materials research
- Automatic control systems of technological processes at profile enterprises
First specialization " Molecular nano- and biophotonics " (ENS de Paris-Saclay)
- Ion channel recording
- Fundamentals of biology
- Introduction to microfluidics
- Light-Matter interactions in molecular media
Second specialization "Organic Material for Photonics " (NMHU)
- Thermodynamic chemistry
- Natural language processing
- Practical chemistry
Third specialization "Integrated complexes at the fuel and energy complex enterprises"
- Integrated analyzer systems
- Sensors and sensor systems
- Modern sorption technologies
- Equipment for petrochemical production
- Fuel cycles and enterprises of the fuel and energy complex
Third specialization "Element base for nano- and biophotonics"
- Theory and technique of modern physical experiment
- Lasers in photonics
- Organic materials of photonics and laser technology
- Modern technologies of lithography
Third specialization "Bioengineering and Biotechnical Systems"
- Nanomaterials in biotechnology
- Toxicology materials fundamental
- Optical methods of analysis
- Computer modeling of physical processes and systems
- Intellectual medical systems
*The applicants are required to pass entrance examination successfully.
The list of entrance examination questions
ITMO Admission Office