Partner University: Aalborg University (AAU)Place of Study: Russia
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science
Duration: 2 years FT (120 ECTS)
Application Deadline: 15 July 2019
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree in design, media technology, engineering, and architecture or related fields with excellent academic performance; upper-intermediate level of English; CV and/or portfolio and motivation letter.
Annual Tuition Fee: First year fees are 286,000.00 Rub for ITMO’s Russian Students and 306,000.00 Rub for ITMO’s International Students. Second year fees are subject to change.
Creative Lighting Department (CLD) is a unique center of applied multidisciplinary research and postgraduate education in the field of Lighting Design in Russia. CLD’s students mostly work on innovative projects that are dedicated to improvement of health and lighting environment leading to sustainable innovation-led growth worldwide. The main aim is to learn how to improve quality of light in urban and public spaces in accordance with the European Research and Innovation Missions. CLD works closely with the Lighting Design industry, local community and regional authorities, providing its students with an opportunity to work on real-life projects, where they can apply their theoretical knowledge to practice. Moreover, CLD has an opportunity to participate in an academic mobility with Aalborg University (Denmark). This allows student exchange and gives students a unique opportunity to live and study abroad.
The Program is one of its kind in Russia. It attracts not only graduate students with various backgrounds but also people with extensive professional experience in Architecture, Interior and/or Urban Design, Media, and Engineering. Its educational methodology is based on a combination of problem-based and human-centric approaches. No other design program in Russia allows for such deep integration of modern technologies (human computer interaction, big data, microelectronics, new materials, smart wearables, IoT, photonics and optics for health research) into the educational process and applied research projects by students and staff.
Career Options: Industry forecasts estimate a great demand for more professionals within the field of Lighting Design. CLD’s graduates will have endless opportunities in lighting manufacturing and lighting design industries that offer positions in engineering companies, movie&theatre companies, light-art companies and more. CLD Master’s International program is rooted in practice. It means that students graduate with an extensive project portfolio demonstrating their hands-on skills and experience, and this is exactly what employers are looking for.
Benefits of the Program
- actively use and increase creative and intellectual potential with the help of modern technology, analytical tools and clear orientation in the informational field
- acquire unique knowledge and experience while creating city lighting and multimedia projects with the guidance of leading Russian and European experts
- have a possibility to work on exclusive creative projects alongside international researches in the field of Art & Science in line with IT, Photonics, and Robotics departments
- graduate as exclusive specialists with top quality portfolio, resume, and recommendations
- complete internships at leading Russian and international companies with a chance to get a job offer as a result
- gain a fascinating experience of living and studying abroad
Content of the Program (120 ECTS)
I semester (33 ECTS)
- Creative Technologies 4 ECTS
- Optional Module (chosen by a student) 4 ECTS:
- Negotiations, Conflict Management and Influence Techniques
- Emotional Intelligence
- Business and Scientific Ethics, Organization of Scientific Research
- Personal Effectiveness and Time Management
- Internationalization of Scientific Research
- Effective Team Management
- Academic English 2 ECTS
- Data Processing and Analysis 3 ECTS
- Principles and Methods of Light Modelling 6 ECTS
- Photonics 3 ECTS
- Practice/Research 11 ECTS
II semester (27 ECTS)
- Academic English 2 ECTS
- Applied Artificial Intelligence 3 ECTS
- A Problem-oriented Approach to Lightning Design Projects 5 ECTS
- Design-forecasting: Global Challenges, Analytics and Strategies 4 ECTS
- Lighting Culture. Light in Art, Design, Architecture, Urban Environment 3 ECTS
- Visual Perception 3 ECTS
- Practice/Research 7 ECTS
III Semester (30 ECTS)
Specialization I: Light in Architecture and Urban Environment 18 ECTS
- Development and Modeling of Light Solutions for Architecture and Urban Environment 9 ECTS
- Applied Research in Environmental Design 5 ECTS
- Lighting Design: GIS, Parametric System, AR and VR 4 ECTS
Specialization II: Light in Industrial Design 18 ECTS
- Development and Prototyping of Light Objects for Industrial Design 9 ECTS
- Applied Research in Industrial Design 5 ECTS
- Lighting Design: IoT, Cyber-physical Systems, AR и VR 4 ECTS
Practice/Research 6 ECTS
Practice/Design and Technology 6 ECTS
IV Semester (30 ECTS)
- Practice/Design and Technology/Internship 15 ECTS
- Master Thesis 9 ECTS
- State Exam 6 ECTS
The list of entrance examination questions
How to apply?
To apply, please follow our step-by-step application guide.
Want to enroll at ITMO without entrance examinations or tuition fees? Learn more about our contests and competitions that will give you this amazing opportunity!
Faculty of Applied Optics