Functional Materials in Optoelectronics
Partner University: ITMO UniversityPlace of Study: Russia
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science in Technical Physics (ITMO University)
Duration: 2 Years, 120 credits
Application Deadline: 15 July 2019
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree in Physics, Engineering or relevant field with excellent/good grades. CV & motivation letter. Upper-intermediate level of English*
Annual Tuition Fee: 286 000 Rub for Russian students, 306 000 Rub for foreign students
Career Options: the graduates acquire a range of competencies essential for PhD studies and future career in the leading companies, research institutions and scientific laboratories both in Russia and abroad.
The Master’s program in Functional Materials in Optoelectronics offers a world-class education in a wide variety of areas from fundamentals of materials science to practical aspects of the design of novel optoelectronic devices.
New materials with unique properties are crucial for further development of optoelectronics and nanoelectronics. Photonic structures based on these materials are actively used as building blocks for high-performance devices for data storage, communication, computing and in energy-saving technologies. Today the leading positions in research and development of modern materials belong to international projects, so the education process implies the active collaboration with Russian and international academic and industrial partners of the program.
The Students Will Learn
- to characterise functional materials
- to design new materials with specific mechanical, magnetic and optical properties, semiconductor nanomaterials and materials with hybrid properties
- to develop processes for the synthesis of functional materials with pre-defined structure and physical properties for photonic and electronic applications.
Research and Industrial Internships
1. Partner universities
- Blaise Pascal University, Clermont-Ferrand (France)
- McMaster University, Hamilton (Canada)
- Aristotle University Thessaloniki (Greece)
- Aalto University (Finland)
- Tallinn University of Technology (Estonia)
- University of Balearic Islands (Spain)
- University of California Santa Barbara (USA)
2. International Research Center for Functional Materials and Devices of Optoelectronics, ITMO University, St.Petersburg (Russia)
3. European X-ray Free-Electron Laser (European XFEL), Hamburg (Germany)
4. Academic and industrial members of European projects Horizon 2020 INDEED (2017-2021) and FRAMED (2017-2019): more than 20 universities and companies from Austria, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, and the USA
5. R&D partners and startups at St. Petersburg (Russia).
Contents of the Program
- Introduction to Photonics
- Modern Material Physics
- Modern Semiconductor Nanotechnology
- Semiconductor Physics
- Solid State Theory and Crystallography
- Methods for Material Characterization
- Photo and Optoelectronic Materials
- Physical Kinetics on Solid Surfaces
- Mathematical Methods in Physics
Track Optoelectronic Materials:
- Growth and Physical Properties of Crystals
- Nanomechanics of Functional Materials
- Microstructure and Properties of Materials for Electrotechnical Applications
- Low-Dimensional Systems
- Optical Effects in Solids
Track Semiconductor Nanostructures for Photonics:
- Molecular Beam Epitaxy of Nanostructures
- III-V Semiconductor Nanowires: Synthesis, Properties, and Applications
- Wide-Gap Semiconductor Materials
- Nucleation Theory With Applications
*The applicants are required to pass entrance examination successfully.
How to apply?
To apply, please follow our step-by-step application guide.
Want to enroll at ITMO without entrance examinations or tuition fees? Learn more about our contests and competitions that will give you this amazing opportunity!
Nadezhda Markova, manager of the Program