Molecular Biosensing and Biorobotics
Partner University: ITMO UniversityPlace of Study: Russia
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science, ITMO University
Duration: 2 years (120 credits)
Application Deadline: 01 July 2018
Admission Requirements: Bachelor degree in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering or related field with excellent/good grades, CV & motivation letter. Upper intermediate level of English language (B2 according to CEFR).
Price: 199,000 RUR for Russian students, 219,000 for international students.
Career Options: specialists working at the interface between chemistry and biology, undoubtedly, will be demanded at leading scientific institutions both in Russia and abroad in such areas as medical and pharmaceutical industry, biological, food and chemical enterprises at biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies and holdings.
The program focuses on modern aspects of chemistry and biochemistry of nucleic acids and nucleic acids’ binding proteins. Special emphasis is made on gene engineering of functional oligonucleotides, research of DNA-based molecular logic gates that can be used in the first DNA-based computer processor and developing new hybridization probes for real-time analysis of specific DNA and RNA sequences.
The program uniquely combines state-of-the-art computational and practical aspects of material sciences, nanotechnology, molecular biology and biochemistry. It effectively bridges material sciences and information technologies, both being key research areas of ITMO University.
Benefits of the Program
- The program is delivered at the International SCAMT Laboratory (Solution Chemistry of Advanced Materials and Technologies), the leading ITMO lab specializing in hybrid materials creation by soft solution chemical methods in nanomaterial science and development of biomedical, optical materials and advanced industrial materials.
- The teachers are all young professors with relevant work experience gained in such prominent universities as Harvard, Eindhoven, University of Central Florida, University of Leipzig, Hebrew University and others.
- The students have an excellent opportunity for research and educational internship at leading world universities: Eindhoven University of Technology, Leipzig University, University of Liverpool, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Liege, Trinity College, University of Aveiro.
- Nice bonus! The most successful candidates will be nominated for ITMO Biochemistry Cluster Scholarship.
- Covers such important practical issues as highly selective molecular diagnostics technologies of human genetic and infectious diseases based on engineering of functional nanodevices.
- Focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to nanomaterial engineering and gene engineering for sustainability. The program involves a wide range of courses delivered by leading scientists affiliated with the research center on such subjects as molecular biology; biotechnology; genetic engineering, biochemistry; nanotechnology; inorganic chemistry & materials science; sol-gel chemistry, etc.
- Offers an individual approach to unleash the potential and talents of the students
- Provides access to modern research facilities of the center such as: equipment for advanced materials synthesis, bioengineering equipment, electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, as well as infrastructure for computational analysis.
- Creates an opportunity for students to carry out research on hot topics related to key societal problems of today in collaboration with ambitious research teams affiliated with the research center.
Content of the Program
- Management of Scientific Research - 3 credits
- Molecular Biology - 6 credits
- Research Methods - 6 credits
- Advanced Biochemistry - 6 credits
- Research Work - 9 credits
- Molecular Biorobotics - 6 credits
- Bioinformatics - 6 credits
- Scientific English - 6 credits
- Molecular Biomedicine - 6 credits
- Research Work - 6 credits
- Advanced Materials for Biomedical Applications - 6 credits
- Basics of Genetic Engineering - 6 credits
- Medical Chemistry - 3 credits
- Research Work - 15 credits
- Research Work - 18 credits
- Pre-diploma Research Work - 6 credits
- Diploma work - 6 credits
Program Coordinator, ITMO Biochemistry Cluster