Among the School's key research areas are:
- developing technologies for improving the quality of life;
- increasing energy efficiency of biomass processing and reducing human impact on the environment;
- creating functional materials for biotechnologies.
The School is comprised of:
- Faculty of Cryogenic Engineering
- Faculty of Food Biotechnologies and Engineering
- International Laboratory of Mechanics and Energy Systems;
- Interdepartmental Training Lab "Innovation Technologies";
- SCAMT Laboratory (Solution Chemistry of Advanced Materials and Technologies);
- International Research Centre “Biotechnologies of the Third Millennium”;
- Laboratory of Ecology, Technosphere Safety and Metrological Support.
Apart from that, there are several scientific schools operating on the premises of the School:
- Physicochemical properties of multicomponent technical systems (Alexander Baranenko);
- Low temperature physics, cryogenics (Evgeny Borzenko, Alexander Baranov);
- Complex study of thermophysical properties of refrigerants, structural materials, and living systems undergoing phase and structural transformations (Oleg Tsvetkov, Igor Baranov);
- Biotechnologies and resource-saving engineering systems.
Among the School’s structural units is also the Biochemistry Cluster, which is comprised of a range of high-level laboratories conducting cutting-edge research in various fields ranging from chemistry and molecular biology to chemical engineering and pharmacology.
The School has cutting-edge equipment for conducting high-level research. The School’s students have an opportunity to do internships at best Russian and international companies. Among the School’s industrial partners are more than 50 Russian and international companies such as Karavai, Khlebny Dom, Leipurien Tukku, Fazer, Baltika Brewery, Danone, Petroholod, Galaktika, Petmol, Coca-Cola, Heiniken, Russian Standard, Electronics RUS, Daikin, KRION, Mitsubishi Electric, Gazprom, etc.
We cooperate with many renowned universities worldwide, including the TU Dresden, Hamburg University of Technology, the Technische Universität Ilmenau, Leipzig University, Harvard University, University of Central Florida, Illinois State University, Saint Louis University, South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences, Lahti University, Aalto University, Harbin University of Science and Technology, Lanzhou University, the University of Liège, etc.