The mains aims of the Department are
- Preparation of highly skilled researchers who can compete with the worldwide leading researchers
- Scientific and technological international level work with students and graduate students on the base of the Information Optical Technology Centre.
Complete training cycle consists of three stages: bachelor's degree, master's degree, graduate school. The Department takes in a magistracy and postgraduate study bachelors and masters, received the relevant degree in Russian and foreign universities.
The Department of Optical Physics and Modern Natural Sciences (OPMNS, http://opmns.faculty.ifmo.ru/
The basic pedagogical and scientific scopes of activity of PN SEC are: research and development of nanomaterials, nanostructures, micro- and nanosystems, as well as micro- and nanodevices.
Objects of the study are
- semiconductor and metal nanoparticles
- semiconductor quantum wells and threads
- molecular complexes
- doped semiconductor materials and liquid crystals.