This Department prepares specialists in development and operation of latest optical electronic devices and systems for environmental monitoring. Graduates of the Department gain engineering qualifications and specialization in the optical-electronic techniques and facilities for environmental monitoring.
Graduates of the Department are qualified as "engineer" with specialization Optical-electronic methods and devices for environmental monitoring and comprehensive training in the fields of
- organization of environmental monitoring based on the latest optical-electronic devices and systems produced in Russia and abroad
- certification of measuring instrumentation
- accreditation of eco-analytical laboratories
- development and operation of computer-based systems, working with spatially distributed and related metric information, providing data visualization (including mapping), the construction of a space-themed databases, data analysis, modeling and control
- can get a prestigious, well-paid and rewarding job in design offices, enterprises, institutions and organizations of the Ministry of Emergency Situations, State Standard, the Ministry of Nature, State Committee on Ecology, Roshydromet, SSES, environmental services administration at all levels, certification departments, accreditation, joint ventures, organizations conducting environmental audits.
The Department has at its disposal a training and scientific-engineering center - Ecological Monitoring established as part of the State Research Center All-Russia Scientific Research Mendeleyev Institute of Metrology and of the Research and Production Company Monitoring. The Department participates in the following activities
- Creation, delivery and introduction of complex instrumental systems for environmental monitoring of residential and industrial areas with requirements assurance
- Development of geographic information and ecological geographic information systems, creation of the ecological atlases and Russia region maps. We created the first ecological atlases and maps in Russia which featured St. Petersburg city and region, Togliatti and Kaliningrad, as well as an ecological map of the Aral Sea region
- Preparation and retraining of personnel
- Supplying Russian ecological services with instruments and equipment
- Participation in the joint educational project called Ecology and Ecological Security of the enterprise, city, region. Within the framework of this project the department carries out individual training and updating experts in ecological services.
Potentially, the Department has the opportunity to organize student exchanges in Germany, Israel, USA, Finland and Sweden.
Non-resident students are taught on a contractual basis (with tuition fees).