The Department partnering with the Federal State Budget Institution of science "Special Astrophysical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences" (RAS) was established by order of the Rector number 402 from 06.09.2012.
The aim of the Department is to improve the quality of education through the use of the results of scientific research in the educational process, of new knowledge and advances in science and technology, expanding research and scientific training principle and the scientific component of the educational process, staffing of the research.
To achieve this goal the following measures are provided:
- Conduction of joint research work on the basis of effective use of instrumentation and methodological base and innovation capacity of the Observatory and the University
- Organization and holding of students and graduate students "master classes", group and individual consultations.
ITMO University’s students get practical training into the University’s Observatory, namely:
- Analysis and generalization of scientific data, preparation of joint publications. Joint development and publication of guidelines and manuals
- Course works and theses of students of the University are made under the supervision of the Observatory
- Preparation of PhD theses of graduate students and applicants
- Organization of scientific conferences and schools of students and young scientists
- Training of highly qualified personnel on the basis of post-graduate and University Observatory
- Joint research in priority areas of basic and applied science.